I talk a lot about raising your vibration, keeping your thoughts and energy positive, while walking through daily life. I would also like to talk about how trusting your intuition and gut feelings can help you to live a fulfilling authentic life. I have found through trial and error when I do not trust my intuition, when choose not answer the call to do what I know I should. I suffer the consequences of not listening to my intuition in emotional and physical ways.
I have been hearing the tug at my soul to start writing since 2010 or if I am honest much earlier even since youth. I started by journaling with no purpose except to just write and release my feelings. I found it very therapeutic, but I could still hear my soul saying keep at it for several years, I heard this call and ignored it of course because I had other things to do. I was building a business and making cleaning my house, a priority before writing.
I would do absolutely anything to avoid writing, even doing thing for others they could do for themselves instead. When all I kept thinking about it how bad I wanted to be an author. For years I would stuff this ‘feeling’ right back down to where it came from “Who am I to dare to dream? What makes you qualified to write about anything? What do you have to say that is so important?” I was full of doubt. The more I believed the doubt the more I felt unease move in to my soul.
I was beginning to feel anxiety about many things, I wasn’t taking care of my own needs and desires while putting others before myself whenever possible. By ignoring my feelings, anxiety and depression took its toll on me physically, I gained weight, I was unhealthy, and my mental state was fragile and highly irritable. I was not living my best life or being the best me I could be, and I felt acutely it in my whole being. These were my icky ‘consequences’ that lead me to discovered the necessity of trusting my intuition. I was so miserable in life I HAD to change it. I discovered the only way to make change is to change yourself because as much as we like to think we can… we cannot change others.
I began by learning all about energy in my body, where I hold it, how it feels and how to control it. This information came to me first in the form of learning Reiki healing. It was by learning about the energy centers in the body (Chakras) that I was able to comprehend the mind, body spirit connection and how it greatly affects your life. At the time I was just learning to be selfish, I wanted and needed to feel better in the meat suit I was wearing and not feeling comfortable in. After years of practice I find it has helped me so greatly that it is my passion to share all I’ve learned so you can feel better too. Here are some of the ways you can incorporate practice of listening to your intuition in your daily life.
- Try Reiki, Healing hands and other types of energy work. This will help you be in touch with your body, it helps your mind be back in your being, being calm during these healings, helps to hear the whisper of your soul. Learning about the non-physical energy or life force in my body was life changing for me. I started to practice Reiki healing on others and soon discovered helping others helped me too. Giving seems to be more fulfilling to me then taking, but there are times I need healing too. As do you; honor that. You don’t have to learn Reiki, but you can experience energy healing in another form that calls to you.
- Own your feelings, do not let them own you. When someone makes you mad or sad, acknowledge it and ask yourself what exactly made you so upset. Are you feeling disrespected, unappreciated, annoyed, over-extended, used? Your emotions are there for a reason not to be used as a weapon of self-inflicted psychological torture. They should be used as a guide to lean towards what and who makes you feel better. Check in with your relationships, and ask your soul, is this fulfilling for me? Is this where I belong. You will know the answer, this is your intuition.
- Go where you are celebrated not just tolerated. This is god’s way of letting you know where you should be and who you should be spending your time with. Just because you’ve always had the same crowd you hang out with doesn’t mean it’s the one you have to spend the rest of your life trying to ‘fit into’. If these ‘friends’ don’t value your thoughts, feeling or opinions, move on. You will find new friends who love you just as you are, and you will thank yourself for being brave enough to do so. This doesn’t mean you have to cut people out of your life, you just give them the same amount of effort and attention they give you.
- Value your own uniqueness and find others who do the same. How do you feel when you are around someone? Do you feel free to talk about anything and be yourself? Or do you feel like your opinion and feelings don’t not matter? Do you even get a say? These are signs from the Universe on who you should be surrounding yourself with. Move around in this giant world and find other people who resonate with you, find your tribe. Finding others who celebrate your differences instead of trying to bully them out of you is imperative to your soul’s growth. Do yourself a solid and spend time alone as opposed to giving your valuable time and energy to others who do not value who you are and what you have to offer.
- Check in with your physical body. When you are in an uncomfortable situation your body talks to you too, not just your mind. Your pulse rises, you may perspire, your fist clench or your jaw tightens. These are human reactions to stress we all feel, when you are with someone or in a situation that isn’t right for you, your body knows even if you ignore it. Its up to you to check in and think why do I have a headache? Why am I exhausted every time I talk to this person? Why do I feel nauseous all the sudden? This is your body talking to you. Listen up, these are signs and signals from your intuition, your intuition was given to you by the higher power that lives inside of you. It wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t supposed to be used. Mind/BODY/Spirit… its ALL connected for a reason.
- Try thought control over meditation. Plenty of people I know do not like to or just don’t find the peace in meditation that others can find. What I propose is instead, catch yourself slinging bullshit negative stories around in your head, compulsively thinking the worse of others or situations. I ask you to acknowledge it and then tell yourself ‘Stop it.” Every single time you feel upset, anxious or uneasy. Tell yourself “Just stop it.” Ask yourself “Is there anything I can do about this right now?” If there is then do it, stop spinning your mind and polishing rocks of crazy. Ask “Are my thoughts helping the situation or are they blowing it up into obnoxious unnecessary scenarios?” Taking responsibility and control of your own thoughts helps more then meditation in most of real life situations. I totally get that, so this is my alternative suggestion to meditation. Think about puppies or vacation, do something with your hands instead.
- Trust and run towards what you love. It is all about the love baby! We are not meant to be miserable humans making more misery for others. We love what we love for a reason, life is much more enjoyable when we can spend time doing what makes our heart sing and soul smile. Spending our precious time with people who make us feel accepted, seen and loved for who we are, warts and all is what love means. From spending time with babies or grandbabies, fishing to skydiving, whatever that makes your heart fill with happy… do that as much of it as possible. Start giving your time, priority and importance to what does fulfill you in some way. We really are here for only a short while, you’ve tv and phone will not miss you or love you. Spend your hours pursuing more of what you love, trust that the things that pull at your soul, is your intuitive path to happiness.
Now that I have learned to take responsibility for my thoughts, my action, my energy. I have decided to take the leap of faith in myself and trust that running toward what I love to do. I find a great deal more peace and joy in my life when I make sure I get time to do what makes me happy, like adventuring and writing about it to help others. I have decided to make it a priority. And you know what? I really have started to look forward to each day, being able to wake up and know I am spending time moving forward with purpose. By listening to my souls call to write, write, write! I have acknowledged and honored myself in a way nobody else or anything else could fulfill, it’s always been up to me.
Trusting your intuition, is just owning your own power. Don’t be afraid of your own power, it was given to you on purpose by God/The Universe for just this reason. Your intuition relies on your feelings, so you feel where you are supposed to be and who you are supposed to be with. You can trust yourself to use your energy only for good. After all isn’t that what we all want in our lives? You are a good soul, it is safe to trust yourself.